Tuesday, February 06, 2007

somebody's watching you

Sometimes it really gets my goat how people forget that anything you place on the internet can be read by anyone... it just takes one wrong "reply all" to send your nasty, venting thoughts about another dancer, venue, costume mishap, etc. to the whole known world.

I realize, it happens. I've done it, we all have. Hit "reply all" thinking you were replying to the person who just sent out something to the group and boom! there goes your innermost thoughts...

well, I'll tell you the difference with me- even if I am writing to one person in particular on a chat/message board, I don't write anything that the rest of the board couldn't read or that I couldn't stand up for if it did go out to the board. Why? because if you honestly mean what you say and live that path every day of your life, then you should be able to say it to anyone...

What gets me is how these posts keep coming up on local dance boards- not honest, constructive mishap messages, but shit-slinging, angry-venting, here's-what-I-think-of-THEM messages. And yes, I know we all need to vent once in a while, but don't do it online! Because it's so much easier to say nasty things online/have your meaning misconstrued than it is in a face-to-face dish session with a trusted friend.

Maybe I'm spoiled. I have my girls that I dance with and, having that tribe, I can call them up or hang out and vent to them and it's no harm done. So, I don't feel the need to vent over email/message board like others do. I'm really appreciative that I don't have to worry about committing career suicide just because I happen to be really angry and, in a split second, post something really personal and cruel to a message board.

But, I really just think it's the utmost lack of professionalism. First off, nasty vibes just suck and don't help any of us- they don't make us better dancers, don't make us better people and don't strengthen a community. However, even if karma and right action isn't your thing and you're just looking out for number one, then, if anything, think of your own skin. Because you can say something to a friend in private about another dancer and it may not go past there... but a post on the internet- that's in writing, baby! And it's just not good form.

2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Toya said...

Amen.

It's really just shooting oneself in the foot, which is never smart. Not to mention, no matter what religious path you follow (or if you follow none at all), you have to believe that what goes around comes around. It's just universal law. People like that just don't prosper.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Great. I was rereading this, noticed the header and . . . now I have Michael Jackson stuck in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home