Friday, December 29, 2006

Going Solo?

I've had the urge for a while and I've finally gotten off my butt and started to do something about it...

I want to be a solo dancer. NO, that does not mean that I don't live my tribe or intend to keep dancing with them... but I also want to cultivate my dance on a personal level too. Now that's not to say that I haven't done Solos before- with my troupe, I've done more than my fair share of solos... but I mean dancing alone, no girls to back me up and give me that amazing TRIBAL energy...

This brings out the research aspect of the BrookeBrain and has sparked many questions in my head-

1) How do you get started as a solo dancer? What's the first step?
2) What makes a good solo?
3) Where do you premiere your first solo?

My first step is choosing the music. I have a few songs that I'm throwing around "Asilos Magdalena" by The Mars Volta , Thom Yorke's "Black Swan" and then I feel like I should find something else instrumental that doesn't suck...

Opinions? Does it matter if it's got lyrics? do they kill the solo?

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Maybe take a look at the stuff on Asim's wesite about inprovisational choreography (I haven't read through it all yet):

http://apostate.raqsstorm.org/?m=200308

 

Post a Comment

<< Home